IMPORTANT information for AP Students & Parents re: CollegeBoard changes to AP procedures1. ACTION REQUIRED BEFORE THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL:
- All students taking one or more AP classes must have, and be able to access their personal CollegeBoard account. You will be registering in each class for exciting new classroom resources provided by CollegeBoard.
--If you do not have a CollegeBoard account (you may have created one to access PSAT or previous AP scores), or if you do not remember your user name or password, you can get help at this link:
- Complete the attached form indicating your intentions in regard to applying for a reduction of the AP fee (If applying, please visit www.schoolcafe.com to submit a lunch application). This form is to be returned to your AP teacher the first day of school or the School Treasurer’s office by August 23rd.
2. Changes to the registration and exam ordering process that will impact ALL families:
- The AP Exam is required for each AP class taken BUT starting this school year the exams will be ordered in early Fall. A CollegeBoard fee of $40.00 will be incurred for each unused/cancelled AP exam. Withdrawal from an AP course requires a meeting between student, parent and teacher. This process should be initiated by the end of the midterm grading period (September 13, 2019) and completed by the end of 1st quarter, October 11, 2019. After this date, students are “locked in” to completing the course and taking the exam.
AP classes which have a separate exam for the 2nd semester course (Macroeconomics, Physics 2 and Physics E&M) could be dropped following the same withdrawal procedure stated above, completed no later than March 1st to avoid the $40 CollegeBoard fee.
Fees for AP exams remain the same as last year:
--Most exams are $94 each
--Capstone exams (AP Seminar and AP Research) are $142 each
Families that qualify for the Free or Reduced lunch program will receive a significantly reduced AP exam fee that varies each year depending on the amount awarded by the State of Ohio. – You MUST apply for Free or Reduced lunch (www.schoolcafe.com) as soon as possible but no later than September 12th, even if your student does not intend to take advantage of the lunch program. In order to receive proper credit early in the year you will need to provide a copy of your “Notification of Approval” letter when you receive it from Food Services by mailing or bringing it in to the office of Walnut’s treasurer, Janet Fine, no later than October 11, 2019.
3. Students requesting exam only must do so in the Fall:
Those few students who may be interested in retaking an AP exam from a previous year OR plan to do an independent study and take an exam without being enrolled in the class, MUST make this decision and let Mrs. Horn know before November 1st to avoid a late ordering fee of $40 in addition to the normal exam fees. This fee is set and charged by CollegeBoard.