

ILT AGENDA April 14th, 2021

Attendance:

Erin Kenney-Levin, Brian Sweeney, Sara Mcguire-Jay, Ferd Schneider, Ashley Morgan, Joseph Stewart, Samantha Bramlage, Michael Sherman, Wes Hargrave - ITM, Daniel Coleman, John Chambers, Ploy Keener, Patricia Morgan, Margo-Fisher Bellman, Jessica Smitson, Emma Massie, Debra Armstrong, Elizabeth Thelen, Doreena Fox, Johanka Hart-Tompins, Laurie Cotton

Meeting began at 3:06 PM

Review & accept the minutes from March and Emergency ILT Meeting

Error in minutes- Tara Ligon was excluded.

Motion to accept minutes. Seconded. Motion Passes.

Special Order of Business

CPS IT Representatives to talk about concurrent learning.

CPS IT Department

Megan Safko-Preslin: We just wanted to go over concurrent learning. We want to develop a cohort to provide feedback to work out any kinks. We want you to try diferent things. We will continue to gather feedback. We can come observe. We want to talk through challenges and successes. Please fill out surveys.

Wes Hargrave: From an IT perspective, the tech is basically functioning. A few have ongoing issues. Teachers have the flexibility to use it the way they see fit.

McGuire-Jay: The problem is even if you're showing a movie or video or something, you have to project through a Google tab to get it to work. So it has to be something from Youtube. The audio is so bad for the kids in class and at home.

Hargrave: That is a limitation of Google Meet. You can upload videos to a platform that we host in CPS. McGuire-Jay: It's really hard to monitor both the chat and questions in class. Is the board and administration even having the discussion where they're creating a dedicated remote class?

Hargrave: We are building a demo classroom for concurrent learning at the ed center so we can demo what that would look like.

Pfeiffer: What would be needed to be specalized vs what we currently have?

Hargrave: In a best case scenario, you'd have a large screen monitor, mounted 360 cameras, etc.

Safko-Preslin: Ideally, you'd want somebody to be dedicated just to the remote learners. That's just me saying that; we need to back that up. That would be my recommendation. Please fill out the surveys so we can back that up.

Fisher-Bellman: Ask teachers how many students are actually pointing the camera to their faces. This is not authentic concurrent instruction. They figure out the workaround. It's not concurrent; it's just zooming in.

Schneider: The opportunity to be inauthentic with assessments is also more present

Safko-Preslin: We're looking into better software for that.

Fisher- Bellman: A lot of kids aren't using CPS computers

Schneider: As soon as we figure out a way to bust them, they're 3-4 steps ahead of us

Hargrave: There are things that can be done, but it requires buy-in from the person taking the test.

Fisher-Bellman: Will parents be asked for feedback.

Safko-Preslin: We'd love feedback from parents Brogden: Parents were supposed to commit for next year by 4/12, now it's 4/16. Are they communicating with

you about this? Safko-Preslin; That's the first I've heard of it.

Brogden: You have to request information in order to make a decision. You can't just access it- as a parent, that really concerns me

Safko-Preslin: We do have to apply to the state to do concurrent learning for next year Schneider: Does Julie Sellers have to sign off on this? Safko-Preslin: Yes. I have to run this by CFT and legal counsel

Old Business

Online Block Schedule Vote

Kenney In the minutes, Erin gave the votes (A/B). Reviewed the individual votes, as several members asked for a roll call vote. 60% of staff accepted. We needed 66% of the vote. We did not get enough to accept our current schedule. We need a schedule. There is a pending grievance. Kathy Restle sent out an email with what is intended to be a resolution to the pending grievance.

New Business

Schedule E 2021/2022

Kenney: Interest groups v clubs proposal.

Hart-Tomkins: There are a lot of things expected of an adviser, such as in ski club, We don't understand why a fundraiser would need to be associated with a club like that.

A Morgan: This is for new clubs coming to student congress. An interest group is for a "club" where little adult supervision is needed.

Hart-Tomkins: There should be a situation where the club has an account and money is coming in and out with a paid sponsor.

A Morgan: I can take that back to them. I am not comfortable with saying that is ok

McGuire-Jay: Little need for supervision- I thought it was district policy that students are supposed to be supervised. I haven't seen, in writing, that a lack of supervision is allowed.

A Morgan: The clubs require supervision. I'm just talking about clubs that require much less work.

McGuire-Jay- there are a lot of people concerned with the lack of supervision

Kenney: Student Congress vetting the clubs is good, but the final decision of who gets paid vs who does not should come from adults, not kids in the building.

Sherman: I think that would be ok

Kenney: Do we want to vote as is, with modifications or do we want to take back to student congress? Sherman: We do need to vote to stay within the contractual deadline.

A Morgan: I'm nervous about making that big change without talking to Kathy

Chambers: If we're talking about the existing clubs, if they're already grandfathered, what difference woud it make with clubs coming in?

A Morgan: There are clubs that could potentially be replaced because off people stepping down

Chambers: How many clubs would this actually affect?

A Morgan: 1-3

Kenney: Don't they require a funding account?

A Morgan: They were thinking about clubs who don't need money. Like a book club. They just need an adult to be there.

Kenney: A funding account would be money coming in and out; it doesn't need to be a fundraiser I'm not sure this document needs to be amended for that reason.

Schneider: Why does a club need a funding account?

A Morgan: I think that the distinction is that some clubs are very involved, whereas some clubs don't need that funding.

Schneider; If an existing club has never had a funding account, why does it need to be a requirement now? Chambers: We're talking about moving forward

Schneider: I still don't know why maintaining a funding account is a requirement for clubness. Can anybody explain why you need an active funding account?

A Morgan: It puts a lot of responsibility on the adult. If they don't need the funding, then they can be an interest aroup

Schneider: It doesn't make sense

Originator

Originator

Morgan

Stewart: You can't have a fundraiser without somewhere for that money to go. They may never use it, but in case they do, it's a good idea to have it so the club has somewhere to put the money Schneider: I just don't think of it as a necessary thing

A Morgan: Can you give me an idea of a group that wouldn't need an account

P Morgan: Yes. We wanted a CCP club and we were told no. We didn't need an account. We just wanted to get together and talk about CCP.

Sherman: We need to find some way to come up with a clear way to determine where these fall.

A Morgan: Once we use the word club, it's contractual. Our budget is tight right now and we can't pay everyone out.

Restle: Having that distinction helps us maintain our school culture

Kenney: Motion to approve.

Erin Kenney-Levin3:30 PM

Vote on Club vs. Independant Club with the amendment that the Schedule E committee will make the final

decision on Clubs vs. Independent Club

Motion passes.

Schedule E Budget

A Morgan: This is our budget (projected)

Scheider: Are the names on this list important to be accurate

A Morgan: As an ILT, we vote on the positions, not the names

Pfeifer: Some of these dates need to be wiped out and adjusted for the new classes coming in

Kenney: So we're paying the positions we paid last year. So if the district gives us more money, we go from there?

A Morgan: I'm sharing what was shared with me.

Schneider: You're asking us so approve or not approve a budget that is over?

Sherman: It's kind of how it works. We ask for the money and they decide to fund or not fund it. That was Josh

Hardin's recommendation. From there, the district can say yes or no. In order to stay in compliance, we need to have this in by May 1st.

nave this in by way ist.

Schneider: Next dept meeting is May 10th.

A Morgan: We feel like moving forward

Chambers: Motion to accept. Seconded. Motion passes.

2021/2022 Daily Schedule

Kenney

Kenney: Laurie gave us an 8 bell schedule. It is better contractually if it's a 7 bell schedule with lunch. If it's an 8 bell schedule, teachers can teach 6 bells. If we need extra time to allow kids to enter, starting class at 8:10, we can potentially do 46 minute bells and 4 lunches to spread people out in the cafeteria. We think we can fit 450. THis doesn't get all of our kids in the cafeteria, but it spreads them out.

Hart-Tompkins: I think we need a lot more discussion rather than last minute decision making.

Kenney: I think two schedules is a good idea.

Sweeney: We need to have options going forward. We're in favor of blocks, not necessarily the current one. Pfeiffer: We're in favor of the 7 bell with lunch

A Morgan: Kids would be scheduled a lunch like they're scheduled a study hall

Hart-Tomkins: We'll have ⁷/₈ in with 10/11 and it's so intimidating for them to be in with the upperclassmen Stewart: I think we need a separate ILT for this. I don't think COVID is going away. Safety should not be discarded. I don't want us to forget why we're in the block now.

Kenney: If we go back to a block, we still have too many kids. If we're in a block schedule all next year and they can't go outside in the winter, we need to find a place for them to go.

Hart-Tomkins: What I will send has 4 lunches

McGuire-Jay: I think the block works when we are completely remote. When we're in person, and especially the squirrelly younger kids, 80 minutes is a long time. 100 minutes is a lot, especially with the 504/IEP students, which is going to be an issue. Those longer bells don't facilitate that. I like 7 plus lunch because that would give us some flexibility. 100 minutes is a lot.

Laurie Cotton: I want to suggest that the administration unseal the work of the FOS committee, then they won't have to re-invent the wheel. I would hope that you don't have to start over.

Restle: We have continuous improvement scheduled for the 21st. We;d like to have a special ILT meeting that day.

Chambers: We will get those schedules out.

Kenney: I have not seen a proposal for any other schedule. We have to submit these schedule for consideration. Stewart: Maybe ILT votes on their top 3 then departments vote from there.

McGuire-Jay: Maybe do this like a gallery walk so this might be a meeting that should happen in person.

Chambers: We need to vet the schedules before they get out there. There are some that may seem like a good idea, but that create issues with the master schedule. Before we put them out there has to be reviewed.

Gerth: The CBA defines how we can go about the schedule and has schedules that have been negotiated. If we abandon that, we will need a ²/₃ vote, so the process will be a little longer because we will need that staff vote. Schneider: Is late arrival/early dismissal permitted for students during testing? And is next Wednesday a 1 or a 2?

Stewart: What are we going to do with the schedule for next year?

Kenney: If anyone wants to submit a schedule, it has to be done by Monday. Send schedules to Erin by Monday at 3. Is that enough time?

Chambers: That depends on how many are submitted and we have to make sure it's contractual.

Kenney: Can we come back next Wednesday to have a schedule discussion?

Kenney: We need to decide what we're doing after AIR testing. We have families that changed their schedules based on what we told them.

Restle: Schedule changes have not gone over well with the families.

McGuire-Jay: Can we leave the schedule as it is?

Kenney: Motion to adjourn. Chambers: Second. Adjourned 4:36 PM

Additional discussion:

Schneider: Are kids allowed late arrival and early dismissal?

Restle: No. Would you like to know the rationale?

Schneider: No

Restle: We'll have some kids in the building that usually do not come in.

Pfeiffer: Do they know they need to come in?

Chambers: Everyone needs to test in-person.

Restle: This is a lot of tracking for attendance.

McGuire-Jay: The district hasn't included Walnut on any of the cases for the past week. Parents are asking why they're getting letters when it's not showing up on the Walnut site.

Smitson: Ashley has been on top of that. There is only one that is not on there.

A Morgan; There is a discrepancy with the numbers because two of the students are fully remote. There is also one from yesterday that isn't on there yet.

McGuire-Jay: We got 3 letters; those are not on that list.

Chambers: Because they weren't positive

A Morgan: I sent to staff then families. There is one that isn't on there. Two need to be added to make the list accurate. To be transparent, we don't have any control over how they add that stuff.

Read the Chat <u>HERE</u>