

### ILT AGENDA March 10<sup>th</sup>, 2021

**Attendance:** <u>Sara Mcguire-Jay</u>, Ploy Keener, John Chambers, Ashley Morgan, Joe Stewart, Jessica Smitson, Kathy Restle, Daniel Coleman, Heather Lloyd, Denise Pfeiffer, <u>Erin Kenney-Levin</u>, Ferd Schnieder, Jessica Smitson, Johanka Hart-Tompkins, Patty Morgan, Pete Riddle (parent), Laura Brogden, Ellen Wathen, Sam Bramlage, <u>Elizabeth Duncan-Scruggs</u>, Michael Sherman, Brian Sweeney, <u>Acacia Moraes Diniz</u>, Kylie Bridgeman (student), Debbie Armstrong, Emma Massie, John Caliguri, Julie Vernon

Meeting began at 3:03 PM

Review & accept the minutes from February

Pfeiffer motions to accept. Chambers seconded.

Special Order of Business

### Old Business

Library Interview Team Online Vote (13 Yes, 2 Abstain) Kenney There were questions as to how the committee was selected. Was selected by teachers and administration. Motion passed.

### PBIS Update

A Morgan: At this point, nothing is going to change because we don't know what next year will look like. Jamie Beirne said the recent vote we did with ILT will stand. If modifications need to be made, please bring them to the PBIS committee.

Clubs Vs. Interest Groups Distinction

A Morgan: If we are moving forward, it would be helpful to have these guidelines in place. Hart-Tomkins: Will one group be paid and one unpaid?

A Morgan: Yes. The goal would be, moving forward, when the new clubs are inducted they would either fall under schedule E and be paid or fall under interest group and be unpaid.

Schnieder: Is there an academic requirement to maintain some sort of status in a club like there is in athletics? A Morgan: We talked about creating those guidelines within the schedule E subcommitee

Schneider: Is that something we should consider further?

A Morgan: I think the subcommittee would be interested in taking that on. At a previous school, there was a defined criteria for participating in clubs

Schneider: That sounds great. Maybe even some extended criteria for being an officer of a club A Morgan: We see students joining just to get that club on their college application

Sherman: We have a department policy of no F's. We are currently on the honor system with those kids, though, because we don't have admin access on Powerschool.

Smitson: Would you want that information quarterly or at the semester?

## Originator

# Morgan

Morgan

Sherman: We have 5 shows a year, so I think quarterly or some easy way to keep tabs would be beneficial. A Morgan: Maybe the athletic department could help with this.

Chambers: Are we looking at quarter grades? What frequency are we looking to check? Sherman: I think quarterly is reasonable

Chambers: Ms. Daniels runs a quarterly failure report. Each department could get a copy of that failure report and the advisers could check that report.

Sweeney: Is there anyone who monitors the amount of hours students are expected to put in with these clubs? A Morgan: Not to my knowledge

Sweeney: Some clubs and sports expect 2-3 hours a day and then kids complain about not having time to do their homework. We should consider how much is being asked of kids

Brogden: Need to consider how our clubs give opportunities for socialization and creative outlet. It helps make students more well rounded. I wouldn't want to think that I would have to limit my roster to anybody who doesn't have an F. Not opposed to requirements, but they should be carefully placed.

A Morgan: Maybe the clubs that are more competitive (more like teams) could have a requirement but the interest groups where kids are just hanging out

Brogden: BCTM is required to maintain an account because we get money from an outside organization.

A Morgan: With an interest group, they wouldn't have the requirements of an adviser

Kylie: Sometimes the club is the only thing that keeps me going. I only spend an hour or so a week. I don't think it would be a positive thing to say you can't participate because you have an F. Practices and clubs get us in the building.

Kenney: We've gotten off our path here. It's a fine conversation, but what we have is if we are going to allow student congress to decide whether something is a club or interest group.

Schneider: The state will allow students to practice, but not complete on game day.

Kenney: If we take this back to departments, we have to vote on this at the next ILT. May 15th is when ILT has to have a recommendation.

Bramlage: Take back to departments

A Morgan: Josh Hardin hasn't gotten much word on when we will get the schedule E budget.

Kenney: We are giving student congress a lot of authority to say this person should get paid/this person shouldn't get paid and that is my only concern with the proposal. Maybe we can add "student congress suggested, schedule E committee has final say?"

A Morgan: I think that makes sense.

Kenney: Motion to take back to departments. Pfeiffer second.

### New Business

### Budget/Staffing 2021-2022

Chambers: Our budget was relatively easy this year. 101,343 is our general budget allocation. Last year was 111,000. Our projected enrollment has gone down. We are projected at 2750. Current is 2800. They looked at the difference between the incoming 7th grade class and the outgoing seniors. We lost about 10K. I have to put dollar amounts into certain budget lines. It's the same as last year minus 10K. The 10K came out of the office supply line. The only non-controllable line is the instructional supply line. We didn't want to put too much money into a classroom supply line that we could not use. If we don't have the money in the right budget line, we can't purchase certain things (library databases, stock market game, etc)

Hart-Tompkins: Is student fee money kept separate?

Chambers: The classroom fees (FL, art, specialized classes) come in at the end of the school year. Brogden: Can we move money?

Chambers: We can move in to classroom supplies, we just can't move that out to any other line. Thelen: Will staffing remain the same?

Chambers: The district is maintaining the current staffing levels. We will go into 21-22 with our current levels. It could change in October. I think we'll be fine with our current levels. Also, there were some requests for changes to the transfer round listings. They should say AP preferred. This was done at the request of our department chairs.

McGuire-Jay: The positions in SS are mostly 7th grade. The 2 postings are 9-12 and it seems like it should be 7-12 and they're both listed as AP, but it's not the AP vacancies that are around.

Chambers, I'll talk to our person at HR. Just send me what you want so I can put an addendum out there. Stewart: We have no idea how we'll start next year. They're talking about moving 7/8 to another campus. I'm all about getting the highest qualified teachers here at Walnut. Putting on there AP preferred will help seek out the most certified candidates we can get.

## Originator

# Chambers

Schedule Update for the End of the School Year

A Morgan: The 21st is the date at which we're looking for seniors to be finished early.

Stewart: That is official as of this afternoon

Pfeiffer: Have there been any dates made public about graduation

Stewart: I emailed parents about this 3 days ago. It gave the graduation details. I can't put prom out there yet because Hamilton County hasn't put their stamp of approval on it yet. We have approval from B&B riverboats and the district.

A Morgan: We are set. We just don't want the kids to get all excited and ready.

Hart-Tomkins: Is there a textbook return plan?

A Morgan: I'm sure Alumni will help, but we really don't know what tomorrow will look like.

Kylie: So is a prom being planned? We were under the impression that we had to plan an alternate event.

Chambers: I'll reach out to you tomorrow. We're just waiting to get approval from the health department.

Kenney: The board is meeting soon. We do need to start talking about what our daily schedule will look like next year.

A Morgan: They told us we'd have a plan for the fall by March 16

Stewart: We should know how and if we're coming back by March 15

Kenney: Anything else?

Chambers: There has been no communication about graduation or prom to anyone on the faculty because there is no information to publicize. We don't want to get hopes up. Mr. Stewart gave the day and the time, but not the location. Where it is and how it looks is debatable. May have an outside graduation. Right now it is planned for 6:30. Right now we are booked for 5/3 Arena on 5/27.

Stewart: It could also be Withrow or Walnut depending on capacity.

Lloyd: If they vote us back full time, we'll need to re-adjust the schedule.

Added to agenda:

Testing

Stewart

Stewart: Got a lot of questions about testing. We decided that students' GPA could not be impacted in any way this year if they opt out of a test. The ILT resolution will take effect next year. We couldn't move the goal post at halftime. It was my understanding that the decision we made in December woud be in place next year. Sweeney: I thought part of the issue was that teachers were penalizing kids? I thought we were putting an

emergency addendum in place.

Stewart: This was to put a stop to having teachers fail students and penalizing them this year. They opted for these classes last January

Sweeney: What's going to stop the teacher from failing kids if they don't sit for the exam?

Stewart: Technically, there's nothing to stop them from doing that. We don't want kids to be adversely affected by the pandemic and loss of instructional time. Some teachers want students to drop status if they do not sit. Kenney: Is this coming from above us?

Stewart: Justin Leach said that any student who opts out of a test will not be charged for it.

P Morgan: CPS sets the weighting for AP classes. Even as an ILT, can we penalize kids for that?

Sweeney: We set the bar. We changed the weighting a few years ago.

Stewart: Shelli talked to Joyce Byrd. I think we do have the right to manipulate GPA.

Chambers: We set the weighting for the course

Stewart: With the new schedule, we're gonna have kids who have conflicts. We're going to ask those students to prioritize. Is it ok to say the .25 will be in place for next school year?

Hart-Tompkins: You've talked about the conflict in foreign language? Is that taken care of?

Stewart: Yes. Also, there are no remote options for the test. If there is a health concern, we are limited with our options. The College Board isn't providing a digital option for the MWL exams. We will have to figure it out should a student have a health concern.

Kenney: Motion to adjourn. Chambers seconded. Meeting adjourned at 3:58 PM

Link <u>HERE</u> to read the chat.

Morgan